The origins of Louis XIII cognac begin with the founding of the House in the Cognac region in the early 1700s. In 1841, after more than a century of producing cognac, Paul-Emile Rémy Martin assumed control of the business and began selling the House’s cognacs under the family name. The eaux-de-vie for Louis XIII are still exclusively sourced from the Grande Champagne cru of Cognac. This region in Cognac is distinguished for its limestone composition that is considered ideal for the grapes employed in the production of cognac. The ageing process takes place exclusively inside 100- to 150-year-old tierçons, thin-walled French oak casks originally designed for maritime transport that are no longer being produced.